Sunday 6 April 2014

Delicious baked coconut and blueberry oatmeal

One of the most delicious breakfasts I make is my gluten free baked oatmeal. Gooey, naturally sweet and soft, I eat this at all times of the day not just for breakfast. If like me you are on a high protein diet then add a scoop of your favourite protein powder ensuring it does not contain sucralose which is a nasty sweetener.




You're probably wondering why the hell am I telling you to bake the oatmeal when you can just do it in a pan or have overnight oats (see other recipe posting) well you can use this recipe for all three of those methods. The only reason I sometimes bake my oats is because it yields a different texture and I get bored of eating the same thing with the same texture every day. So sometimes I have baked, which is gooey and warm, sometimes I have regular oats in a pan which is quick and tasty, then sometimes I have overnight oats which are raw, cold, thick and delicious, packed with flavour.  Variety is the spice of life afterall..





Ingredients
Serves 1:
1/2 cup of gluten free oats
¼ cup boiling water
Small handful of blueberries
 1 small ripe banana
1/4 a cup of coconut milk
1tbsp desiccated coconut (no added sweetner)
1tbsp of pure maple syrup (optional)
To serve (optional)
1tsp Ground linseed/flax
1tsp Chai
1tbsp greek yogurt



Method
Start by pre-heating the oven to 190C. gas mark 5.
Place the oats in a bowl and cover them with boiling water, soak for ten minutes.
Chop the banana into slices
Once the water has been absorbed and the oats are soft stir in most of the chopped banana, most of the blueberries, milk and maple syrup if using.
Pop the mix into a small individual baking dish. Top with the remaining banana, a few reserved blueberries, the coconut and bake for 20 minutes, until the top has slightly browned. Top with serving ideas or eat as it is.



No comments:

Post a Comment